Lemon Ricotta Pasta w/Spinach, Mushrooms & Red Bell Peppers
This cheesy, lemony pasta is refreshing and comes together in 30 minutes, making it a perfect meal choice when you want a tasty homemade meal without spending hours in the kitchen.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 to 8 servings
- 12 oz fettuccine (I used whole wheat and it was delicious)
- 2 cups ricotta cheese (I used part-skim ricotta)
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1+1/2 cups red bell pepper (diced) - I used an extra large pepper, which may have been a bit more than 1+1/2 cups. More red bell pepper is never a bad thing!
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms (cremini/baby bella work great)
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
Cook fettuccine according to the package directions, with 1 Tbsp. olive oil in the water as it cooks (this helps prevent the noodles from sticking together as much during cooking and after draining). When done, drain the pasta, reserving 3/4 cup of the water the pasta was cooked in.
While the pasta cooks, combine the ricotta cheese, lemon juice, lemon rind, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil, then add the red bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic and sautee for ~3 minutes.
Add the pasta, spinach, ricotta cheese mixture and reserved pasta water to the skillet and cook for ~2 minutes until the spinach wilts and sauce just starts to boil. *Note: If mixture is too thick, add a little hot water to thin it out. If it's a little too thin, add in some extra ricotta cheese to thicken it up.*
Taste test and add additional salt, black pepper and/or crushed red pepper to taste.