Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Energy Bites
These Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Energy Bites taste like dessert even though they're actually a healthy, nutrient-packed snack that will fuel you up before your workout or help you recharge post-workout.
Prep Time10 mins
Fridge Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 36 pieces
Heavy-duty spatula or wooden spoon
Cookie Dough Scoop (not required, but definitely helps!)
Food Scale (also not required, but helps ensure accurate ingredient-measurements)
- 1+1/4 cup Peanut Butter, creamy all-natural variety
- 2+1/2 Tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
- 1/4 cup Blue Agave
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Super-Fine Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Ground Flax Seed
- 1+1/4 cup Oats, uncooked *See Recipe Notes*
- 2/3 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, mini *See Recipe Notes*
Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir/mix until completely and thoroughly combined. Cover bowl loosely and stick in refrigerator for ~45 minutes, until firm enough to scoop/form into balls but not so firm that you can't work with it.
Prior to taking the dough out of the fridge, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Pull the dough out of the fridge, scoop by ~1 Tbsp scoops (see "Recipe Notes" below for a link to the cookie dough scoop I use for this), roll in your hands to form balls, then place on the parchment-lined baking sheets.
Place the baking sheets in the fridge for ~15 minutes, until fully firmed up (if you're in a hurry like I sometimes am, stick in the freezer instead for ~5 minutes).
Store the energy bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator and take out when eating (these will soften up quite quickly once removed from the fridge and start to become messy!)
- If you want softer oats in the end (so it doesn't taste so much like you're chewing on raw oats), use quick-cooking oats. If you prefer a chewier texture and like the texture of raw oats, then use regular oats.
- I always use mini chocolate chips in energy bites because they distribute more evenly throughout the dough which makes life easier when forming the balls and also makes it so every energy bite is packed with chocolate.
- The scoop I have and use for these (slightly overflowing) is the "small" of the following link (the 2 tsp. one): https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/oxo-good-grips-reg-cookie-scoop/102818?keyword=oxo-cookie
Serving: 2energy bites | Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 24mg | Potassium: 126mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 0% | Vitamin C: 0% | Calcium: 3% | Iron: 6%